Be very wary of do-it-yourself prenuptial or postnuptial agreement forms to fill out. Such products are usually a complete scam. Part of a legitimate, enforceable prenuptial or postnuptial agreement must be personalized legal advice. Only an attorney who knows your specific circumstances can advise you on key issues that should be included in discussions leading up to the signing and formalizing of a prenuptial or postnuptial agreement.
Engaged individuals or couples from throughout Los Angeles County and surrounding areas are welcome to contact Law Offices of Liu and Hsu, P.C. A Professional Law Corporation for individualized advice regarding prenuptial or postnuptial agreements.
Who should consider obtaining a prenuptial agreement? One answer is: anyone who is planning to get married. However, most engaged couples do not devote much thought to the possibility of divorce someday. A wedding is a hopeful time — a time full of expectancy and appreciation of potential of a couple’s future life together. A prenuptial agreement, by nature, requires serious contemplation of the possibility of divorce.
Therefore, those individuals and couples who are interested in prenuptial agreements are often described in one of these categories:
- One or both have been married previously. They know divorce is a possibility even when they prefer not to spend time thinking about it.
- One or both have children from previous relationships. Protecting potential inheritance for those children is a legitimate concern.
- There is a great disparity in income and assets of the two who plan to marry. They choose to enter into a premarital agreement in order to remove any possibility of “gold-digging” from the anticipated marital relationship.
What about a postnuptial agreement? The postnup is a way to circumvent the community property laws that typically define ownership of assets in a California marriage. This document is often sought as a way to remove financial matters from a personal relationship after a marriage has begun.
- If one spouse is going to start a business, receive an inheritance or make investments and the other spouse wants to stay out of these financial matters, a postnuptial agreement can prevent conflict and uncertainty.
- A postnup may be helpful for a couple in the process of reconciling after a time of marital discord.
For Advice And Help With A Prenuptial Or Postnuptial Agreement, Contact An Experienced Family Law Attorney At Law Offices of Liu and Hsu, P.C.
At Law Offices of Liu and Hsu, P.C., meeting the needs of clients is the top priority. If you pursue a prenuptial or postnuptial agreement with the help of a lawyer at Law Offices of Liu and Hsu, P.C., you can expect to understand clearly the benefits and risks involved. Make sure your prenup or postnup is suitable for your circumstances and enforceable. Call 626-539-5377 or send an email inquiry to request a consultation.
Chinese- and Spanish-speaking clients can request assistance in their own languages when Law Offices of Liu and Hsu, P.C., handles family law matters on their behalf.
我們講中國語文。Se habla español.